FIREFOX INSTALLATION ON WINDOWS 95 -- ROUGH NOTES
WORKING NOTES, LOG, etc.
Firefox Install Problem
It (appears to at any rate) uncompressed the Install files, writes a log file in the temporary directory (normally C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\FF_TEMP), then simply quits without an error message. As far as I can tell, no one has actually tracked this down to a specific error condition, but it is known that installing a bunch of Windows 98 libraries will allow the install to complete.
- Find corresponding FireFox installer. Ask in Firefox support forum.
- Known Problem?
- What is difference between Mozilla browser and Firefox?
- Firefox dropped ZIP releases in early 2005 -- Nightlies are
- Forums - http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=4
- How to run firefox installer on Win 95. http://johnhaller.com/useful-stuff/run-firefox-in-windows-95-98
- Andrew Turnbull's Mozilla Network wrote:
Q: Will Mozilla Firefox or Mozilla Thunderbird run on Windows 95? Are there issues involving running Mozilla products on older versions of Windows?
A: Yes, Firefox and Thunderbird will run on Windows 95, under the condition that you have appropriate system files installed. All Mozilla products (including Mozilla application suite, Firefox, and Thunderbird) since Mozilla 1.4 require version 2.30.4265 or greater of the system file OLEAUT32.DLL to run. When I ran Mozilla Firefox 0.9 on a system with the very first version of Windows 95 installed, I also had to upgrade or add other files as well such as OLE32.DLL, OLEAUT32.DLL, SHLWAPI.DLL, and URLMON.DLL. If you heed this information and apply the Windows Library Update (that contains an updated OLEAUT32.DLL) and all other applicable library updates beforehand, you should hopefully have a minimum of problems in installing and running Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, or Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows 95 or other older Windows versions (specifically 98 original release, NT 3.51, and NT 4.0).
- https://web.archive.org/web/20070603162144/http://www.spreadfirefox.com/node/10810. Yes the installer crashing is a known problem.
Relationship of Mozilla Browser and Firefox
Same core code, but Firefox is built with a selected set of options. Here's an article on the differences http://ilias.ca/archive/MozillavsFirefox
Firefox ZIPs are available for nightly builds
Try these links:
- This appears to be where the nightly version of Firefox lives. I would guess that this is a little too recent for most people as it may contain freshly installed problems. http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk/
- As of March 2007, there are still some Firefox 1.5 builds around on the mozilla.org site, but the specific file I tried http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/1.5rc3-candidates/ is no longer around. It's not clear how long any 1.5 release files will be available. Since I couldn't get the nightly that I tried to work with to run, I really don't have any recommendations for anyone who elects to go this route. Maybe there are copies in other places. I'd try the Internet Archives site (The Wayback Machine).
FIREFOX PROBLEM ACTIVITY LOG
- 051229 Firefox Starts to install, writes a FF_TEMP\Install.log, then quits
- 060101 Searched Mozilla.org for known problems-none. Cleaned
out all temp directories. Tried SAFE Mode install. Failed every time.
- 060102 Looked for binary installer. Ended up with Mozilla
1.7.11 which seems to run fine.
- 060106 Searched for binary installer for Firefox 1.5. Best I could do was the 1.5rc3 ZIP. Downloaded same.
- 060107 Uninstalled Mozilla, and installed Firefox 1.5rc3. Installed OK (with a few overlapping paths), but needed XPCOM_CORE.DLL and XPCOM_COMPAT.DLL. Installed Firefox 1.5 on a Win 98 machine and copied the XPCOM... files to the Win95 machine. Firefox then tried to start but crashes with no message. Gave up. Uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled Mozilla.
- 060108 Plan is to clean install WIN95 and find out exactly what files are needed to install/run Mozilla and firefox. Cleaned off the 2GB drive on an unused P266 and installed and formatted a 666GB partition (would have installed another, but FDISK will only set you have one MSDOS partition even if the other is not active). Fought for a while to install Win95 Upgrade (Haven't seen my WFWG install disks for years) Finally used Internet to discover that dummy WIN.CN_ and WIN386.EXE files will be enough to get SETUP through its installation check.
- 060109 Got network up -- need to install MS TCP/IP patch then clone install into a second partition.
- 060117 Copied Log on target machine (P266) back to normal working machine (P166).
- 060117 Made 3rd partition on P266 (a copy of the initial install). Made sure all download files were available on all partitions. Installed MSVCRT, 50COMUPD and the WIN95 Y2K patch. Installed Firefox without incident. Ran OK.
- 060118 Cleaned 3rd partition, recopied and installed the three updates, then installed Mozilla. Installed and ran OK.
Log Kept on the Target Machine (P266) during testing
060110 Copied basic software to second partition
Off by One
Ranish Partition Manager
Mozilla1.7.12 exe installer
060110 Firefox install
A required file MSVCRT is missing -- C Run Time Library. The problem here is that Firefox assumes that the Visual C++ libraries are installed, but they do not come with Windows 95. There appear to be several (different) binaries of the version that is required 6.00.8337.0. Since we are trying to identify minimums, I went with a download from www.aggsoft.com/download/win95updates.htm. But the full Windows 98 libraries Update linked to from Q197298 might be a better bet. Note that MSVCRT needs to be installed to WINDOWS\SYSTEM, not to the default PROGRAM FILES\GHOSTS_12... Once finished. DEPENDS was happy with dependencies
060112 Now Firefox extracts and crashes during verification of files COMCTL32.DLL Page fault 0137.bff17165
060113 Mozilla install
Uncompressed and started install got error 1157: Could not load C:\temp\ns.temp\xpcom.ns\bin\xpistub.dll
Error 1157 is normally caused by a missing DLL
060113 Copied Dependency walker from P166 -- seems to run. Sees no problem with Mozilla. after unpacking \temp\ns.temp exists, but no xpcom.ns. Went thru dialog and actually appeared to install. Mozilla is installed, but now quits with no error message after splash screen.
060113 Located and downloaded 50COMUPD.EXE -- COMCTL32 update for Windows 95 -98. Now Firefox installs, but when run generates Errors "Link to export OLEAUT32.DLL.411 missing", and "A device attached to the system is not functioning" Depends agrees -- OLEAUT32 is missing stuff.
060113 Mozilla still quits with no msg after splash screen.
060113 Copied original install to third partition
060114 Copied OLEAUT32.DLL from P166. Firefox now starts.
060114 Default install includes Exchange and MSnetwork might be interesting to delete and observe affect.
Copyright 2006, Donald Kenney (Donald.Kenney@GMail.com). Permission is hereby granted to use any materials on this page under the V2.5 Creative Commons License