PANGLOSS LIVES -- ENDNOTES
Donald Kenney (email@example.com)
Last Update: Sun Jul 8 00:34:13 2018
- [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)#The_Circles_of_Hell https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inferno_(Dante)#The_Circles_of_Hell] - http://web.archive.org/web/20140412191721/http://freethought.mbdojo.com/lyingforgod.html
- Greenspan, noted for his incomprehensible jargon, once announced 'I guess I should warn you, if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said.'
- Yes, I know that Ozymandias is usually associated with Rameses the Great of the 19th dynasty. If you're going to be that picky about details, perhaps you should move on to reading something lengthy and tedious -- The US Internal Revenue code perhaps or anything by Ayn Rand.See
- Smeagol=Gollum prior to the hobbit's transformation into an entity more loathsome than Newt Gingrich. Those who find TLOTR to be terminally boring but still for some reason feel a need to know about Tolkein's book will find a good summary in the Wikipedia
- Yes, the magic eight ball actually was patented although the patents surely must have expired by now. Yet another example of how silly and trivial the patent system is.
- possible responses from said magic eight ball
- It is certain
- It is decidedly so
- Without a doubt
- Yes - definitely
- You may rely on it
- As I see it, yes
- Most likely
- Outlook good
- Signs point to yes
- Reply hazy, try again
- Ask again later
- Better not tell you now
- Cannot predict now
- Concentrate and ask again
- Don't count on it
- My reply is no
- My sources say no
- Outlook not so good
- Very doubtful
- //How then am I so different from the first men through this way?
Like them, I left a settled life, I threw it all away.
To seek a Northwest Passage at the call of many men
To find there but the road back home again.// Stan Rogers, "Northwest Passage"
- 'She took down a jar from one of the shelves as
she passed; it was labelled 'ORANGE MARMALADE', but to her great
disappointment it was empty: she did not like to drop the jar for fear
of killing somebody, so managed to put it into one of the cupboards as
she fell past it.' Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carroll http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/11/pg11.txt
- What then Kemosabe? kemosabe is purportedly an American Indian word (Potawatamie] for friend or something similar. The Lone Ranger's companion Tonto tended to use the phrase 'What now kemosabe?' whenever the masked man's /Ready, fire, aim/ approach to problem resolution got them into yet another intractable jam -- roughly every other week in the 1940s radio serial /The Lone Ranger/
Also part of joke. The Lone Ranger and Tonto are trapped in a box canyon by a mob of angry and well armed Apache. The Lone Ranger turns to his faithful Indian Companion and asks "What do we do now Kemosabe?. Tonto replies "Who's we, white man?"
- The airline code DMD is actually assigned to Doomadgee, Queensland, Australia (population -- per Wikipedia -- 1258)
- The "bad experience in New Hampshire" the devil refers to is set forth in Stephen Vincent Benet's 19 century short story /The Devil and Daniel Webster/ See. William Loeb was a weird right wing idealouge and newspaper publisher best known for his inflamatory editorials in the /Manchester Union Leader/. Meldrim Thompson was a three term governor of New Hampshire perhaps best known for suggesting that the New Hampshire National Guard should be armed with nuclear weapons.
- I believe TARDIS is a registered trademark of the BBC notwithstanding that it is quite clearly patterned on a design by the Metropolitan Police. The doors do not appear to have turnable handles, which may be why Satan had trouble turning them.