PC98 -- A specification from Microsoft defining a "minimal hardware configuration". This is a marketing specification for new PCs and does not imply that Microsoft software products will not run on older PCs.
- 200MHz Pentium MMX or better processor
- 256K L2 cache
- 32mb memory with at least 28mb available to the OS at boot
- ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) 1.0 compliant
- Power management timer
- ACPI power button or Reset switch
- S5(Soft -Off) State plus at least one sleep state (preferably S-3)
- STS/EN bits for power management.
- BIOS description table for non-PNP motherboard hardware
- BIOS support for ACPI control for buses and devices
- USB Wake Up
- No ACPI disablement (Presumably included to remind us that Microsoft has never been noted for it's hardware engineering skills)
- OnNow Initiative
- Sleep state indistinguishable from Off State except for visible indicator(s)
- Easy power/sleep switch accessibility. Two differentiable buttons recommended.
- Non-software controlled power shut off capability
- (Keyboard power control is permissible.)
- PCI, IEE1394, PC Card interfaces if present must support power management
- All devices must be able to come up from zero power state without information loss.
- OnNow Initiative BIOS Support
- Fast POST Capability (5 Sec or less recommended)
- Full POST Capability Available as Option
- 0.5 Second sleep state recovery from modes S1,2,3
- Minimal boot up info as default.
- BIOS Requirements
- PXENV System ID structure in BIOS or CMOS
- CD-ROM Bootability
- Network Bootability
- Year 2000 handled correctly
- Password protection of hardware enable/disable
- BIOS upgradability via download
- Option ROM (if present) upgradability via download
- USB keyboard support if standard keyboard not present.
Return To Index
Copyright 1994-2002 by Donald Kenney.