v.92/v.44 modems: A modem standard expected to be approved in September 2000. It includes a number of (minor) improvements over the 56K/V.90 standard. Specific Improvements:
- 10 sec connect time vs 20 sec for v.90
- 48Kbit/s uplink vs 33.6kbit/S for v.90
- full 56kbit/sec downlink (already in v.90?)
- Ability to put modem on hold (e.g. to handle incoming calls)
- v.44 compression allowing substantial improvement over v.42bis
v.44 compression of 6:1 is claimed for "typical web material" giving effective download data rates above 300kbit/sec.
The benefits of V.92/V.44 require V.92/V.44 at both ends of the link. 48Kbps uplink also requires excellent line quality.
Return To Index
Copyright 1994-2002 by Donald Kenney.